Sunday, August 19, 2007

How To Give Your Lacrosse Helmet Tilt

Dazwischen etwas anderes ...


Die Zahl Sieben im Palas von 1506/10
In der Bekrönung einer Türe in der spätgotischen Stube des Landvogts prangen sieben Wappenschilder (wahrscheinlich waren sie ursprünglich bemalt) der Sieben Alten Orte . Die Zahl 7 ist auch an zwei weiteren Türen zu finden: eine im selben Raum, mit merkwürdig gewellten Formen (mit Jahrzahl 1508), die im Kunstdenkmälerband SG I als Darstellung von Eichenlaub interpretiert werden. Färbt man die einzelnen Gebilde ein, entsteht eine Folge von Blüten in je zwei Reihen – und es ergeben sich 2x sieben Blüten. The supraporte the third door (1510) is designed as a tracery. The main form consists of two mirror-centered arch, from which arise seven divisions, which are filled with three passes and a cross.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Where Can I Buy Meltonian Shoe

Bergfried, Inneres



ground floor, dungeon
The dungeon was originally accessible only through a small opening in the floor of the entrance floor. Through this hatch also the only natural light penetrated the room. The current access from the palace to the tower is modern, as are the stairs to the 1st Stock (both 1964). The bars are - probably for tactical reasons - in west-east direction, they are in the middle supported by a joist. Every second bar and the strut are from 1280/81, the remaining bars were recovered during the repair of 1505/06.

In the southwest corner of the room joined Probst "digging furrows" on walls of a parallel to the keep-oriented building.
These are the foundations and brickwork of a rising only 2.43 m wide area, the western extension is not tangible because it is hidden by the west wall of the keep. The east and north walls are exposed, its wall thickness is only 52 cm. The building had a ground floor entrance from the east access. Probst had a "patch betonirten soil" found, lying on the same level as the input threshold in the east wall.
excavations in 1964 by Frank Knoll and Hermann Obrecht 2005th (See "The Last First")

Probst also tells of a 8-10 cm thick burnt layer, which is almost everywhere in the keep - let follow - even the older walls. The aforementioned fire therefore likely to have an impact to the ground floor.

first and 2 The two floors upstairs
received only meager light of narrow saddle windows in the south wall. Both the high entrance on the east side and the abortion starting in the south wall of the 1st Dome are original.
The beams of dem 1. bis 5. OG liegen in Nord-Süd-Richtung. Vom Kraggebälk über dem 2. OG ist im Innern nichts zu sehen. Wahrscheinlich wurde es beim Brand um 1280 zerstört oder spätestens bei der Reparatur von 1505/06 entfernt, als man alle Böden vollständig erneuerte.

3. und 4. Obergeschoss
Über dem mit Tuffquadern errichteten Stockwerken sind die Mauern auf allen vier Seiten nur noch ca. 1 m stark. Dadurch werden die Räume weiter, hell und wohnlich: der Bergfried wird zum Wohnturm. Im 3. OG öffnen sich Pforten und Fenster nach allen vier Seiten: ein Doppel- und zwei Einzelfenster in der Südwand, zwei schmale Rundbogenfenster in der Nord- und eines in der Westwand. Auf der West-, Ost- und Nordseite führte je eine Türe auf den Wehrgang. Die West-Türe ist ganz an die Nordwest-Ecke gerückt und nördlich neben der Ost-Türe zeichnen sich Spuren einer steilen Treppe ab. Zwischen dem Doppelfenster und den beiden Einzelfenstern in der Südwand befand sich eine offene Feuerstelle mit Kaminabzug. Der Raum war früher unterteilt: an der Nordwand konnte Probst noch Spuren einer schmalen Trennwand erkennen, die im Süden genau mit der Westkante des Kamins zusammenfällt. Vermutlich war es eine Bohlen/Ständer-Konstruktion wie im Palas von 1506–10. Von einer weiteren Unterteilung in West-Ost-Richtung haben sich keine Spuren erhalten.

Sechs Balken über dem 3. OG datieren von 1280/81 (Da es sich um Lärchenholz handelt, the growth pattern has an atypical (border of the natural spread of larch), the dating is given with reservation). In part, it is re-used beams with notches and wooden pegs stuck. From a beam in the axis of the north door of a lift spindle traces can be seen. You may have heard a boom lift.

All other beams and the wooden floors of the upper floors are from the maintenance position 1901-1906. E. Probst recorded in his recording plans received only a few bars. In 1885 Salomon Voegelin remarked in his castle description, "are missing from the third [tower] stick to the floor, the stairs dagegen sind bis zum Dachraume erhalten».

Auch der 4. Stock ist geräumig und hell. Der rot gefasste Kellenstrich, wie er an den Fassaden auftritt, ist auch hier im Innern erhalten geblieben. Die Brandspuren zeichnen sich hier noch deutlicher ab als an den Fassaden. Mit Ausnahme der Südmauer, wo der Verputz auf Kaminbreite unterbrochen ist, sind die Kellenstriche ohne Unterbruch durchgezogen. Offenbar war der Raum ursprünglich nicht unterteilt. Die farbige Behandlung der Wände hebt sich deutlich von den übrigen Räumen des Turmes ab. Es dürfte sich daher um einen Festsaal handeln (Feierte hier der berüchtigte Graf Rudolf II. 1323, als er den gekidnappten Bischof von Basel gegen Lösegeld wieder los war?).
Gegen Süden hatten ursprünglich drei Öffnungen bestanden: ein rundbogiges Türchen, welches zu einem Aborterker f ührte (nachträglich auf eine kleine quadratische Nische mit Schüttstein reduziert) sowie zwei schmale Rundbogenfenster. Je ein Fenster findet sich auch den andern Seiten, wobei das westliche möglicherweise nicht ursprünglich ist, denn der Kellenstrich-Putz ist unterbrochen und links neben der Leibung lässt ein schräg gezogener Kellenstrich auf eine steile Treppe schliessen, die hier in einen Obergaden oder Dachraum hinaufgeführt hatte.

Bei der Wiederherstellung nach dem Brand wurde der beschädigte Verputz nicht ausgebessert, weil der Saal vermutlich in niedrige Kemenaten or chambers was divided Bohlen (Then his successful coup would have to Rudolf II celebrated in another room have ...). Probably because the plaster was protected behind the wall boards now, he's survived in this state. Two notches lying in the south wall, OK Pietra rasa masonry were no loopholes, but vents between ceiling beams and joists. Such venting notches are for example also present in the Unterhof Diessenhofen.

south wall 5th OG. The water hammer from Melserplatten draws the line of the gable roof. In the walled battlements. At the height of the eaves of the pinnacles of light stripes mortar collar to the pocket roof. Photo A. Hidber 1992nd


northeast corner in the 5th OG. Eave purlin negative of the (center), its left with bricks plugged negative of a gargoyle (?). On the prints Pfettennegativ wide wood shingles are visible. On the north wall as water hammer walled Melserplatten (top right). Photo A. Hidber 1992nd

The 5th OG was originally an uninhabitable attic. Here the walled battlements and the traces of a saddle and a bag roof are visible. On the south wall of the chimney is emerging as a dark sooty stripe.
description of the roofs, see "Keep, appearance."

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Bermuda Beef Production

Bergfried, Äusseres




of about 30 m high keep rising at the highest point of the steep south flank of the rocky spur (measured in the dungeon: 551.45 m above sea level.). Its slightly trapezoidal rectangular floor plan measures at the foot 9.10x13.28 m. Barely visible to the naked eye, the tower tapers up to its eaves height on 8.54x12.80 m.

be at its outer walls are four different zones:

first Masonry and masonry from field, Phase I
Immediately naked on the rock is where a masonry of the field and quarry stone. On the south and north side this base area is approximately 551.55 m above sea level a horizontal completion. At least on the south side ist dieses Mauerwerk älter als das darüber ansetzende Tuffquaderwerk IIa. Diese Abfolge ergibt sich im Zusammenhang mit Mauern im Innern. Auch an den anderen Seiten dürften sich Partien des Vorgängerbaues erhalten haben, an den beiden Giebelseiten sind sie wegen Anbauten oder Verputz nicht sichtbar; innen werden sie mit Ausnahme der Südmauer durch die breiteren Tuffquadermauern überlagert.

2. Tuffquadermauerwerk, Phase IIa
Über der Sockelzone setzt ein 11.90 m hohes Mauerwerk fort, das aus z.T. mächtigen gesägten Tuffquadern von bis zu 40–55x125 cm besteht. Die Mauern weisen nun unterschiedliche Stärken auf: im Süden entspricht sie der älteren Sockelzone (1.16 m), während sie auf the three attack sites up to 2.50 meters. The blocks are in nearly horizontal layers bound together enough so that the joint strength is only about 1.5 cm. This is probably a two shell walls as in the same city wall built, where was a partial collapse of a wall cast in layers of silica core Bollen revealed.

Collapsed ramparts 1918th Archive recording. Clearly visible is the layer-cast wall core, which was behind the downed Tuffquadern to light.


Kraggebälk to a "Hurd" (walkway):
stuck over the top Tuffquaderlage sawed-off Former cantilever beam in the wall. On the west, north and east are the cantilever at a distance of about 90-100 cm down. Their cross-section is an average of 19x29 cm. On the south side were evident in almost twice as great distance, only four beam ends. In the east and west walls each case only the central beam is perpendicular to the wall, the others are wide against the Ecksticher laid. Comparative examples we find in God love TG, Clugin GR (battlements of the ruin Cagliatscha dendrodatiert, 1265) and Castle Wartensee, Rorschacherberg SG (clerestory, dendrodatiert 1243). The cantilevered beams were supported by Bughölzer resting on an angle into the Tuffquader carved supports (four on the north wall, three each at the two short sides, and in every corner of a). A canopy of military gear could not be identified solely on access gates, two beam holes were present that could come from individual Schutzdächlein. The cantilevers were probably the beginning of the 17th Century sawed off flush with wall when the tower and the whole castle was given a new plaster.
Gottlieben Kragbalkenlage in the castle, erb. 1251, according to Piper, Castle lexicon.


Castle Wartensee, cantilevers for the clerestory, dendrodatiert 1243rd

third Pietra rasa masonry, Phase IIb About the 2nd
Floor is where a Pietra rasa masonry. His strength here is only 97-120 cm. Mortars and plasters are like those of the lower zones of conspicuous brownish color and can be in their composition do not differ from each other. The plaster of Tuffmauerwerks moved seamlessly across the border between IIa and IIb. Moreover, as noted in the blocks were no signs of weathering, one must assume that the two wall sections belonging to the same construction phase and that the tower was always plastered.
the bearing joints along in the wet plaster trowel horizontal lines were drawn, which were subsequently adopted by a red color. This wall art was in the 13th Century im Alpenraum verbreitet, wir finden sie auch an den ältesten Gebäudeteilen der Ruine Gräpplang (dendrodatiert 1203/1207, Kellenstriche stellenweise ebenfalls rot gefasst). Mauerkanten, Fenster- und Türgewände sind aus Tuff. An einigen Fenstergewänden der Südwand haftete noch der ursprüngliche bräunliche Verputz mit Spuren einer etwa 10 cm breiten, rot gemalten Einfassung.
Das Pietra-rasa Mauerwerk endet horizontal auf der Höhe der beiden liegenden Scharten (Südfassade). Der Verputz zieht nach innen und weist eine deutliche Brandrötung auf. Hier muss ein Dach oder ein hölzerner Aufbau durch Brand zerstört worden sein. Spuren dieses Brandes sind auch im Innern deutlich zu sehen.


Brandgeröteter horizontaler Abschluss des Pietra-rasa Mauerwerks.
Foto A. Hidber 1969.

4. Mischmauerwerk aus Bruchsteinen und Tuff mit Zinnenabschluss, Phase IIIa
Über der brandgeröteten Grenze setzt ein Mauerwerk aus Kieselbollen und Tuffbrocken an. Es reicht bis zur Traufe des bestehenden Daches hinauf und schliesst mit einem Zinnenkranz ab. Der Mauermörtel unterscheidet sich hier deutlich von jenem der unteren Geschosse. Er ist kiesig und von grau-bräunlicher Farbe. Wie beim Pietra-rasa Mauerwerk sind auch hier alle Mauerkanten mit Tuffquadern ausgebildet. Im Innern zeichnet sich ein flach geneigtes, Nord-Süd gerichtetes Satteldach ab, das vom Zinnenkranz überragt was. The roof itself, as shown in the mortar to Negative eaves sides, with about 1cm thick wood shingles were covered. The connection of the roof to the perimeter was with projecting slabs of red slate ("Melserplatten") protected from rain water. It is not a stone roof, was adopted as before.
at both eaves sides find themselves square openings, which probably was derived from outside the rain water through spout to.
The Peaks conclusion was probably more a status symbol as a military technical reasons: a military response was not present and the roof ridge towered above the battlements gap even by a few cm. Other hand, offered the mantle wall protection against storm and wind, as elsewhere be explicitly mentioned in contemporary building report will say: "dy maur on Haubsloss umb ain little Höcher make alain dy roofs, the last overcomes Cain gantz" (note on a project drawing of 1520 for the Castle Tarasp).



At a later stage (IIIb) was replaced by a gable roof, the east-west oriented pocket roof. The rainwater flowed now has two equal inward sloping roof surfaces in a center channel from which it may have been led into a collection tank. Unlike the older gable roof, the roof-wall connections this time sealed with a mortar collar, whose bases are also Negative emerge from thin wood shingles. The shingles had a thickness of 0.5-1 cm and a width of 28-30 cm. At least on the north side where the roof gave up a little higher, the battlements were now closed, for the horizontal mortar collar draws here on the Peaks-walling. That the north battlements were not closed simultaneously with the other three sides and that is reflected in the difference of the wall material, for here no hollow bricks were used as filler material (yes, the roof had continued to be made shingles!).

5th Hipped or gabled roof above the battlements, Phase IV
well in 14th Century, was placed on the battlements a roof. Since all four Tower corners radicals or negatives were detected by eave purlins corner joints, it seems to have traded a hipped roof, were taken from which six pairs of rafters in the now existing design. They have the upper third horizontal, slightly inclined inwards cuts for a throat beams, which had to be removed during installation of the younger See. The old roof was therefore a bit steeper, without beams, collar beam roof, as we have numerous buildings of the 13th and 14 Century know. In 1472 was placed under the old roof, a standing chair with purlins and first column (the trees were felled for these supports 1468/69 and 1471/72). Presumably
only in this phase of the gaps in the battlements west, south and east side were bricked up.

6th Gable walls and hipped roof, Phase V
The masonry consists of two gable ends of sharp-edged Malmkalkbruchsteinen and is identical to that of the Palas-renewal of 1506-10. The mortar, however, differs so clear that we had excluded from our study of 1969 a simultaneity of the two components. Since the dendro-analysis of 1998 we know that the Confederates after the takeover of the castle in 1483 first went to the repair of the tower. His condition may have been particularly dire because the inside all the joists had almost completely be renewed. It started around 1491 with the repair of the roof (sill above the battlements, and some fret bars), and with the advent of new joists are likely to shell of its 1505/06 financial statements have found. Only after the reconstruction of the palace collapsed in 1460 (construction data from 1506 to 1510) was undertaken.
formal agreement with the palace, and the results of construction of the dendro-examination to refute the current dating of the tower roof in the years 1607-08. Probably remained the gable walls without plaster temporarily, until the whole castle - probably in 1608 under Governor Martin Epp, of which it is stated that he had the "lock erneweren can" - got a white plaster.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

What Does Stomach Bug Mean In Japanese?

Grundriss der ältesten Mauern

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Origin Of Wigs In Court

Das Letzte zuerst:

As mentioned in the introduction, I focused 1964-2001 again with Castle Sargans. In 1964 I helped Frank Knoll-Heitz at the excavation in the dungeon, and so did my first archaeological experience.

The Wall square, which has been considered since 1900 as a remnant of a previous building (Probst), 2005 was a re-examination, because part of the walls had collapsed. On behalf of the St. Gallen canton of Archaeology, Hermann Obrist of the IGA Zurich received the new findings and studies. It noted that the thin Südmäuerchen to the tower south wall is grown. Where the walls had collapsed, was behind a wall with joint front-line plaster revealed. Result of his investigations: "They have shown that the wall is square to be seen in connection with the construction of the keep, it could be explained by a technical installation. Thus, the thesis that the foursome was older than the tower, not be kept longer. "

And if the tower south wall at the bottom (below the Tuffquadermauerwerks) is older than the tower, and the three other sides of the same strength were like the south wall? This follows a plan that we as the Habsburg , the Müstair "Eginoturm» and many other buildings of the 12th Century challenge - and finally we meet in the upper floors of the keep Sarganser again. This would explain that is why the two thin little walls fold into the west wall inside. The low walls are so thin because it is an installation in a large rectangular building. If the wall square, an installation in a larger room was, one wonders, why was not simply a wall angle into set. Why the brick lining in the South? Because you need a support for a barrel vault?


The width of the north wall is not known, so far as it is obtained, it closes to the increased Rock on. Was it a space in which work with an open fire is (kitchen, with sink / window to the south?) Or a secure, unfriendly "rooms" with a narrow notch window?


for the new tower, the outside dimensions were taken of the previous building, but the west-north and south in good double thickness rebuilt. This is where the Tuffquadermauerwerk also lower than in the south. Presumably part of the old gable walls are included in the Tuffmauerwerk. The southeast corner was visible outside in 1969 to a height of 3.60 m as a break-stone walls and ramparts.

I think "so that the thesis that the fourfold over the tower was "to continue to maintain.